What a great start to the Autumn term. Everyone looking smart and raring to go!
Dates so far are as follows:
Friday 27th October: Break up for half term
Thursday 16th November: Target setting Day
Friday 17th November: “Inset Day” (school closed)
Tuesday 28th November: Individual photos
Tuesday 5th December: Y1-6 to Gala theatre
Wednesday 6th December: Matinee performance & Evening performance of
Friday 8th Dec: Reception performance
Christmas Jumper Day
Tuesday 12th December: Nursery performances am & pm
Wednesday 13th December Nursery parties
Thursday 14th December: Reception parties
Tuesday 19th Dec: Break up
Well, another year over and what a year! It has been great to get back fully into the swing of things again. Well done to our Year 6 children who performed marvellously in their SATs. All their hard work and determination was worth it!
This term we have all enjoyed a range of activities including: The Heavy Beat Brass Band from the Durham Brass Festival, Handball day, Frisbee Fun day, and Hoopstarz to name but a few.
I hope everyone has a well-earned, relaxing summer holiday.
Summer Term Dates 2023
Tuesday 18th April: Health & Well-Being Day
Monday 24th April: Practice SATs week
Monday 1st May: Day off May Bank Holiday
Friday 5th May: Picnic on the field, dress in red, white & blue
Monday 8th May: Day off for Coronation
Tuesday 9th May: Y6 SATs week
Wks beg 15th & 22nd May: KS1 SATs
Monday 29th May: Half term week
Monday 5th June: Y4 Multiplication Check (over 2-week period)
Monday 12th June: Y1 Phonics Screening week
Thursday 7th June: Parents of new Reception children in pm
Thursday 15th June: Class photos
Wednesday 14th June: Nursery starters in
Tuesday 20th June: Sports Day-am Rec/KS1, pm KS2
Thursday 22nd June: Handball Day
Friday 23rd June: Inset day – school closed
Thursday 29th June: Ultimate Frisbee Day
Tuesday 11th July: 1.45pm Matinee performance & 5pm Evening Performance
Friday 14th July: Reports out to parents
Monday 17th July: Hoop Starz
Friday 21st July: 9.30am Leavers Assembly
12.00pm Y6 home
1.30pm Home time!
Well, what a busy term! We’ve had World Book day, World Maths day, Red Nose day, Times Tables Rock stars challenge and an Easter Egg decorating competition all in the last 3 weeks! This is in addition to all the hard work going on in classrooms with normal lessons. Have a well-deserved rest everybody!
We have been very excited this week as our newly organised library has had a grand opening with children in book character costumes officially opening it on World Book Day.
Some of our many ideas we use to promote a love of reading are:
· School librarians who ensure the library is kept tidy and that books are put back in the correct place
· The ‘Librettes,’ a group of younger librarians who ensure the outdoor book areas are resourced. This is where children can enjoy stories together in their free time
· Termly reading newsletters containing information about competitions and progression in reading.
· Books are available in our garden area at lunch and break times for children to read at their leisure.
· Accelerated Reader quizzes with certificates given as an incentive.
· Guest author visits
· Theatre and pantomime productions twice yearly- often traditional tales linked or classical texts.
· Class trips to library.
· Book clubs
· The Secret Book Library
· Reading areas in each classroom
· Class trips to the local bookshop where books are taken and exchanged
· Regular book recommendations for parents on the Class Dojo
· Stay and play story sessions and family learning in EYFS.
· Whole school text focus linked to classical literature.
· World Book Week.
· Assemblies around staff’s favourite books
Happy New Year! I hope you all had a good Christmas. It is lovely to see all the children back with big smiles, raring to learn! Well done to the children who braved the wet and the mud and went to cross-country club. Letters will be going out about other clubs over the next couple of weeks.
Dates for your diary:
We break up for half- term on Friday 17th February for 1 week.
Target Setting Day is Friday 31st March when we break up for Easter for 2 weeks.