We have been very excited this week as our newly organised library has had a grand opening with children in book character costumes officially opening it on World Book Day.
Some of our many ideas we use to promote a love of reading are:
· School librarians who ensure the library is kept tidy and that books are put back in the correct place
· The ‘Librettes,’ a group of younger librarians who ensure the outdoor book areas are resourced. This is where children can enjoy stories together in their free time
· Termly reading newsletters containing information about competitions and progression in reading.
· Books are available in our garden area at lunch and break times for children to read at their leisure.
· Accelerated Reader quizzes with certificates given as an incentive.
· Guest author visits
· Theatre and pantomime productions twice yearly- often traditional tales linked or classical texts.
· Class trips to library.
· Book clubs
· The Secret Book Library
· Reading areas in each classroom
· Class trips to the local bookshop where books are taken and exchanged
· Regular book recommendations for parents on the Class Dojo
· Stay and play story sessions and family learning in EYFS.
· Whole school text focus linked to classical literature.
· World Book Week.
· Assemblies around staff’s favourite books